Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Review


Sooo, I just finished reading “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo”. This post is going to be a review of the book, and I promise I won’t give any of the mystery away, except for the main theme of the book. The summary on the back is so vague that I had no idea what the book was about, but I’ve been seeing it everywhere and I know that it’s a big seller, so I chose it out. Now that I know what it’s about, I’m not sure if I would have read it… so if you want to be in for a total surprise like I was, don’t read on.

First of all, the original title was something completely different, but when they translated the book into English they gave it a new one. The original title was along the lines of “Men Who Hated Women”, which makes much more sense in the plot of things. It took me forever to figure out who “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” actually was, but apparently for the rest of the trilogy she plays a more major protagonist role.

So, I understood that this was a murder mystery, but I was completely unaware that it full of rape and sadists! They don’t get into too much detail (thank goodness), but it’s certainly enough to form a few VERY detailed images in your head, and make you more shy around your significant other. I feel violated by reading what I read. I know this is a theme that comes up occasionaly, so I don’t know why I’m so taken back, but I am. Stieg Larsson is quite the author. I just wish I spoke Swedish to see if anything other than the title was lost in translation…

But the overall mystery is captivating; without question I got into the book. I just would have appreciated a warning as to what I was getting into, so I decided to grant you with one. Now I’m trying to decide if I should read the second one… any suggestions from anyone without giving anything away? I heard that it’s “sick”, but I couldn’t tell if they were talking about more vulgar scenes, or that it was really good haha.

And if you’re not much of a reader, the movie is coming out too. Books tend to get into my head more intensely (is that a word??) than movies, but either way, I warn you that it is disturbing! Also, I recommend watching the Swedish version with subtitles, because the Hollywood version is rumored to star none other than Kristen Stewart!! Uhhg, really?? She is so not a Lisbeth Salander (who is described at edgy, sexy, and demanding).

So happy reading or watching, tell me what ya think!

Love, Ami G

No comments:

Post a Comment